”I went to the MP’s house to steal, but the MP struggled...

”I went to the MP’s house to steal, but the MP struggled with me so I pulled out my knife and stabbed him”- Court remands late MP’s Murderer

Photo Credit: pulse.com.gh

The alleged Murderer, Daniel Asiedu, who stabbed the late Abuakwa North’s Member of Parliament (MP), Joseph Boakye Danquah-Adu to death has been remanded into lawful custody by a Magistrate Court in Accra.

According to Prosecution, the Accused, Daniel Asiedu, who was armed with a sharp knife among other offensive weapons, went to the late MP’s residence to steal but in the process, the deceased woke up and held the Accused. The Prosecution added that the deceased struggled with the Accused so he (Accused) pulled out his knife and stabbed the late MP several times until the deceased became weak and fell. ‘The Accused went ahead and ransacked the late MP’s room and took away two iphones and a tablet belonging to the deceased, the Prosecution asserted.

The Accused, who is a nineteen-year- old school dropout, was charged with murder by the Police when he appeared before the presiding judge, His Honour Stephen Owusu.

The court accordingly remanded the Accused into lawful custody to reappear on Tuesday, 1st March, 2016.

The deceased was a lawmaker on the minority side of Ghana’s Parliament.

Background to the Case

Narrating the facts of the case, Prosecution informed the court that the deceased, Joseph Boakye Danquah-Adu was a Member of Parliament (MP) for Abuakwa North Constituency in the Eastern Region and lived with his family in a storey building at Shiashie, East Legon in Accra, while the Suspect, Daniel Asiedu is a 19-year-old school dropout who lived with his girlfriend at Agbogbloshie, a suburb of Accra.

The Police Officer said that on the 8th of February, 2016, at about 11:40pm, the deceased came home in his private car driven by his driver, Samuel Berko Sarkodie, adding that the driver, having brought his master home, handed over the ignition keys to him and left for his house at Kasoa.

The Prosecution also told the court that the late MP retired to his bedroom upstairs, stating that at about 1:00am, that same night (dawn), the Suspect, Daniel Asiedu, who was armed with a catapult, a cutter and a sharp knife entered the house of the deceased through the iron fence at the blind side of the security man who was fast asleep.

‘The Suspect, picked a ladder in the house, climbed to the porch of the top floor and entered the bedroom through the window while the deceased was sleeping.

The Suspect began to search the room but the deceased woke up and held the Suspect. The Suspect stabbed the late MP on the right chest above the breast.

The deceased held the knife and shouted for help but no one came to his rescue. The Suspect put the knife through the deceased’s hand creating a deep cut in the deceased’s palm. The deceased, who was bleeding profusely, fell by his bed helpless and the Suspect stabbed him again on the right chest below the breast’, Prosecution narrated.

The Police Officer further stated that the Suspect, realizing that the deceased was almost dead, left him and took away his two iPhones and a tablet, adding that the Suspect managed to descend from the top of the house to the back of the house, climbing onto one of the Poly tanks in the house and jumping over the electric fence into the adjoining house. The Suspect then managed to escape.

The Prosecution also indicated that the security man who was awoken by the distress call for help, called his fellow security men from the neighbourhood but none of them got close to the premises out of fear, stating that they however called the Police emergency line to inform them. The Police arrived and went into the deceased bedroom but he was already dead adding that the body was conveyed to the Police Hospital mortuary awaiting autopsy.

‘Investigations led to the arrest of the Suspect who confessed to the crime and stated that he went to the late MP’s house to steal but in the process, the deceased struggled with him so he pulled out his knife and stabbed him several times until he became weak and fell, adding that he (Suspect) went ahead and ransacked the room but recovered only the aforementioned items’, Prosecution asserted.