”It was the work of the devil that made me rob the...

”It was the work of the devil that made me rob the Complainant”- Court Remands Porter for Robbery

Photo Credit:unu.edu

An Accra Circuit Court has remanded a Porter into lawful custody for robbery.

The Accused, James Frimpong, a porter robbed one Kwesi Bamfo of his Techno and Samsung galaxy mobile phones, all to the tune of GH¢ 1,100.00 cedis.

The Accused was charged with robbery and he pleaded guilty to the charge but with the explanation that he was not the one who slashed the Complainant with a machete (cutlass), but admitted to the offence of robbing the Complainant of the aforementioned mobile phones.

The court, presided over by His Honour, Aboagye Tandoh, having listened to the Prosecution’s case and the Accused person’s explanation to the charge leveled against him entered a plea of not guilty on behalf of the Accused, stating that the Accused person’s explanation that he was not the one who slashed the Complainant with a cutlass during the robbery incident leaves the Prosecution’s case hanging. His Honour added that the case would be fully tried to determine whether the Accused indeed used a cutlass to slash the Complainant as asserted by the Prosecution or otherwise.

James Frimpong was thus remanded into lawful custody to reappear on Tuesday, the 23rd of February, 2016.

Background to the Case

Presenting the facts of the case, the prosecutor, Chief Inspector Adu informed the court that the Complainant is a businessmen who lived at Domeabra near Amanfro, a suburb of Accra while the Accused, James Frimpong is a porter at Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra.

The Prosecutor said that about a year ago while the Complainant was putting up his building at Domeabra, the Accused was among the labourers who worked on the building and as a result of that the Accused knew him (Complainant) very well.

‘On the 4th of February, 2016, at about 10:00pm, the Complainant and his family were watching television in their main hall. The Accused, armed with a sharp machete forcibly entered the hall and ordered them to surrender their mobile phones or else, they would lose their lives’, the Police Officer told the court.

Chief Inspector Adu also stated that the Accused took possession of two mobile phones which was placed in an armchair, adding that the Complainant made an attempt to prevent the Accused from taking away the mobile phones but he was slashed with the machete on the left hand by the Accused and as a result of that he (Complainant) sustained a very deep cut. The Prosecution added that the Complainant and his family raised an alarm but the Accused escaped with the mobile phones.

‘During the early hours of 5th February, 2016, at about 1:30am, the Accused was seen at Kasoa-Ofankor by Palace Guards who arrested him and handed him over to the Police. During interrogations, the Accused admitted the offence with the explanation that it was the work of the devil. After investigations, the Accused was charged with the offence and put before court’, Chief Inspector Adu narrated.